Repair and Install Door Sweeps
Door sweeps, are an inexpensive and effective way to increase draft protection. Sweeps are attached to the bottom of your door to provide a physical barrier, typically rubber, against cold that could seep through the crack between the door bottom and floor.
The Five Basic Types of Door Bottoms:
- The Slide-On- The easiest to install. Slide off the old sweep, slide on the new.
- The Snap-In- Can normally be installed without removing the door. They fit into a kerf cut in the bottom of the door.
- The Wrap-Around- Easy to install and are adjustable but sometimes requires installing new holes in the door.
- The L-Shape- Screws to the inside surface of the door. Easy to install and adjust, but doesn’t always work well
- The Staple-On- Requires removing the door from the frame. This type of door bottom is generally found on wood doors.